Monday, February 23, 2009

Coronation: Chapters 1-10

Okay, well first off, I have to say that I couldn't put the book down once I started! I finished it in about 3 days - working days, too! I hope it is as compelling for you as it was for me! Anyways, I'll restrain myself and only comment on the first 10 chapters. If you haven't read that far yet, come back once you have!
Chapter 1: I kept trying to figure out how old Jane was. I think I settled on 13. Can you believe how grown up she was? What a different time - little girls expected to be adults and ready for marriage...
Chapter...okay, I'm not going chapter-by-chapter. My overall thoughts in these chapters were along the lines of...The formality would be stifling! The palace intrigues and political alliances were WAY too overbearing - for me, at least. Can you imagine being in Lady Catherine's place? The last wife of King Henry the VIII - yikes! At least she outlived him. I also feel so sorry for Jane, in a way, in regards to her relationship with her mom. Can you imagine a parent choosing to send her 6-year-old daughter to live with someone else??? I mean, court or not, Queen or not, she "ridded" herself of a daughter. Unbelievable. I don't like her much...
I want Jane and Edward to end up together...
Okay, I could go on, but the lines are blurring between chapters. What are your thoughts on the first 10 chapters? I can't wait to have our live discussion on the 7th!

1 comment:

  1. I'm a little behind on my reading but so far I am enjoying this book. What caught my eyes was the portrayal of Queen Elizabeth in her younger years. I've read many books on Queen Elizabeth already in power but I never imagined how she might have been as a teenager. So far she's coming across as a snob = )
    I'm also enjoying the style of writing from the author. Although I've only read the first 10 chapters I feel I've captured the essence of the era and the portrayal of each character.
    Can't wait to have our live discussion

    ReplyDelete